Turkish Citizenship by Investment
* Update (13.05.22): According to the decision published in the Turkish Official Gazette on 13.05.2022, the minimum value of the property that must be purchased in order to apply for Turkish citizenship has been increased from
250.000 USD to 400.000 USD, effective from 13.06.2022. Visit the "Acquiring Turkish Citizenship by Investment Increased to 400.000 USD" page for the details.
How to Get Turkish Citizenship by Buying Property?
In May 2017 Turkish government launched an excellent investment program for foreign entrepreneurs. Decisions published in the Turkish Official Gazette on 19 September 2018 and 07 December 2018 revised certain regulations on the transition of foreigners to Turkish citizenship. This program allows any foreign nationals to buy a property or bring capital according to certain regulations and give them an opportunity to gain Turkish citizenship. When the program was reviewed by the government in 2018, the conditions of investment were lowered which made this citizenship project the most attractive in the world.
- Purchase a property (single or multiple properties) worth $ 400,000
*With title deed restriction of keeping the property for at least 3 years
*Permanent residence is not required
- A cash deposit of $ 500,000 in Turkish banks
*With the condition of not withdrawing for 3 years
- Purchase the government bonds of $ 500,000
*Selling the bonds not permitted during minimum 3 years
- Make a fixed-asset business worth $ 500,000
- Employ 50 Turks in your company in Turkey
- Make a deposit of $ 500,000 to the Insurance and Private Pensions Regulation and Supervision Agency
*With the condition of staying in the system for at least 3 years
Formalities for Turkish Citizenship Application by investment
- Get a Tax Number from a tax office in Turkey• Open an account in a Turkish bank
*Passport, Tax Number, and proof of residency like a public utility bill showing current address are required.
- Make an investment
*Transactions only via bank transfer (bank receipts have to be presented for application). *Obtain a real estate title deed and/or notarized sales agreement with the annotation “not to be sold for 3 years”
- Turkish Residency application
You can apply for Turkish citizenship immediately after you have obtained your residence permit. During the application process, no physical presence or interview is required.
Key Facts About Turkish Citizenship by Investment
- All foreign citizens can apply for Turkish Citizenship and a Turkish passport
- A program is also an option for stateless persons* document confirming statelessness issued by UN required
- Citizenship by investment program includes purchasing a home, rental properties, commercial real estate, building and/or land
*excluding locations in a military zone
- The minimum investment period is 3 years
- After 3 years of the investment period, you can sell your property
- Investor’s wife, as well as children under 18 years old, will also become Turkish Citizens
*investor’s mother, father, or children above 18 years old cannot make an application
- Children born after gaining citizenship will be also granted Turkish Citizenship
- A permanent residence permit is not required
- Not necessary to come with all family members to make an application
- To accelerate the procedure, the government opened a special office, in total it takes about 45-60 days to get the citizenship
- Citizenship is lifetime granted
- As a Turkish citizen, you may travel to other 102 countries where visa-free regulations apply
- No language test nor interview required
- In Turkey, double or multiple citizenships are allowed however check your country's regulations
*Some countries don’t allow double citizenship or apply some restrictions
- After purchasing the property Transfer Tax and Value Added Tax payments are obligatory
- Ministry of Environment and Urbanization accepts only reports from a sworn valuer
- More than one property can be purchased, the total value required is $ 400,000
*Title deed process should be started on the same day
- Properties purchased only after 18.09.2018 to be considered within this regulation
- The exchange rate is verified by Tapu Office on the application date and calculated according to the Turkish Central Bank’s rate
- Since January 24, 2022, a new official law has settled an obligation to obtain a Foreign Exchange Document (Döviz Alım Belgesi) for all real estate transactions made by foreign buyers. Thus to obtain Citizenship by Investment, an amount of at least 400.000 USD has to be presented within mentioned paperwork. If you'd like to get some more details regarding this subject go to the New Currency Exchange Regulations for Foreign Property Purchases news page.
Turkish Citizenship Types
Citizenship by investment: The Turkish Government introduced a new fast-track system for Turkish citizenship in 2018. Eligible persons include any person who has bought real estate in Turkey for $ 400,000 or deposited $ 500,000 in Turkish banks. Both transactions will require three years to remain in place. Eligible individuals who have invested at least $ 500,000 in fixed capital or employed 50 Turks.
The Turquoise System: The Turquoise System was introduced in 2017 and enables individuals who have technical, economic, sporting, cultural, and arts expertise or attributes as well as business leaders and investors to apply for a different type of citizenship, which allows almost complete rights.
Property and Residence Permit Holders: Any property owner who has resided in Turkey for a straight and uninterrupted five-year period may also apply, provided that he has stayed in Turkey for 4 years. Uninterrupted residence permit conditions are set out in Article 11 of Act 5901. For the property value, there is no minimum amount.
Birth: Born in a family with a Turkish mother and father is the easiest way to do this. Article 1 of Turkish Citizenship Law 403 states that citizens who are born to one or both Turkish parents have a right to become citizens at once. If a mother and father succeed in their applications, this is also extended to children. Anyone who has simply lost Turkish nationality may also apply again.
Marriage: After 3 years of marriage with a Turkish national, several foreigners have gained citizenship this way. Certain conditions include living together, avoiding conduct that could damage marital unions, and not putting national security or public order at risk.
Documents required for Turkish Citizenship application:
• Filled out the application form
• 12 Biometric photos of each family member
• Birth certificate
• Health insurance
• Residence permit (may be temporary or Tourist visa is also accepted)
• Marriage certificate and birth certificates if applicable
• Tax payment receipt
• Title deed or property purchase commitment from Notary
• Appraisal report
• Bank transactions as proof of investment (value of $ 400,000 or $ 500,000 depending on investment’s type)
How to Buy an Investment Property in Turkey?
As a reliable real estate agency, we cooperate only with sworn valuers and we will provide you with the best price and property options. In this way, you will get a guarantee to purchase a property that meets the regulation requirement. If you live abroad, you just need to provide us with a Power of Attorney so we could process all necessary legal paper works.
The idea of real estate investment may appear like a difficult and demanding process. However, it is actually a very easy procedure to buy property in Turkey. The key to managing this is once you made your decision about buying a property in Turkey you need to find a professional and reliable local real estate company.
Our new website offers easy search options for real estate in Turkey for you. TERRA Real Estate has already made hundreds of customers a home-owner since 2004.
Frequently Asked Questions About Citizenship in Turkey
Q: How can I get Turkish citizenship?
A: Regardless of any other nationalities a person may acquire at birth, Turkish citizenship can be acquired based on one's descent—through birth to a Turkish citizen parent (or parents) in Turkey or by birth abroad to a Turkish citizen parent (or parents). There are also other ways to get Turkish Citizenship as a foreigner. You can apply for Turkish citizenship in different ways, such as property investment, Turquoise card, and marriage.
Q: Can I obtain Turkish citizenship by buying a property?
A: You can get a Turkish citizen by buying property in Turkey at least USD 400,000. Turkish citizenship will also be conferred to the spouse and children under the age of 18. Your Turkish citizenship will follow you for the rest of your life, and your children will be Turkish citizens as well.
Q: What is the Turkish citizenship by investment process and how does it work?
A: Firstly, when you purchase a property with a value of 400,000 USD or more, you need to obtain Turkish Citizenship by applying to the General Directorate of Land Registry and Cadastre. After making the necessary checks, the Land Registry Office gives approval for citizenship between 3 and 7 workdays. After the citizenship permit is approved, you apply for a residence permit. Finally, you apply to the General Directorate of Population and Citizenship on the same day with the approval of your citizenship and residence permit. The process takes between 2 and 6 months. Although the process may seem confusing, don't worry. We will guide you to obtain citizenship and make your job easier.
Q: How long does it take for Turkish citizenship?
A: Within 2 to 6 months, the procedure is completed. To save time, the Turkish authorities of the government have established a dedicated Citizenship office.
Q: If the citizenship process will take 2 to 6 months, can I get a residence permit before this process?
A: As soon as your application is approved, you and your 1st-degree family members will be granted a residence permit on the same day without any waiting period.
Q: What are the benefits of Turkish citizenship?
A: The benefits of being a Turkish citizen can be summarized as follows: There is no requirement for a minimum period of residence in Turkey. Medical support is included in the price. There are pension plans accessible. Plans for free education and university reimbursement are available. Turkey Passport holders can travel to more than 110 countries without needing a visa.
Q: Can I live permanently in Turkey with citizenship?
A: Yes. You can stay in Turkey with no limitations.
Q: Is there anything important that I should be aware of?
A: Turkish Government wants to make certain that the worth of the property is at least USD 400.000. To avoid price fraud, sworn property valuation agencies ensure that the price is correct. Appraisers may have a 20% deviation from the selling price.
Q: I bought real estate in Turkey before. Can I apply for citizenship?
A: Yes. If you have a notarized property purchase commitment and you have paid installments through the bank after 19.09.2018 and the total payments are over 400.000 USD, you can apply for it.
Q: Can I apply for citizenship on real estates that are under construction and whose title deed I still have not received?
A: Yes, anyone who commits to purchase $ 400,000 worth of property from a notary public can obtain citizenship.
Q: Will my citizenship be automatically given if I meet the requirements?
A: No, citizenship approval is conditional on verification from national security archive documents that the applicant poses no national security threat.
Q: I am unable to travel to Turkey. How can I become a Turkish citizen?
A: If you provide us with a power of attorney, TERRA Real Estate will oversee the entire procedure from start to finish.
Q: If I become a Turkish citizen, do I have to serve in the Turkish military?
A: There are a few options. When your child turns 18 years old and reaches military age, he or she is required to serve in the military. You can pick between two countries if you have dual citizenship. If you've already finished, you may need to show proof. For those above the age of 22, you must inquire at the Population and Citizenship General Directorate for important information during the application process if there is a particular condition.
Q: Which nationalities are eligible to obtain a Turkish passport?
A: All nationalities who can purchase property in Turkey are eligible to apply for Turkish citizenship through investment.
Q: Is it necessary to live in Turkey to gain Turkish citizenship?
A: No, not necessary.
Q: I can not come to Turkey. Can I get Turkish Citizenship? and how?
A: If you give us power of attorney, as TERRA Real Estate, we will follow all the processes for you from start to finish.
Q: Is it possible in Turkey to have dual citizenship?
A: Yes, dual nationality is permitted in Turkey; however, you should check with your consulate about your original nationality, as several countries, such as India, China, and Saudi Arabia, do not recognize or have restrictions on dual nationality.
Q: When I become a Turkish citizen, do I have to give up my current citizenship?
A: Turkish legislation does not prohibit dual or multiple citizenships. It depends on the laws in your state
TERRA Real Estate ® Company
TERRA Real Estate specializes in the representation of Out-of-Region Buyers and Foreign Nationals in the buying and selling of real estate in Turkey. If you're looking into the possibility of owning a property in Turkey, choose to work with a professional, ethical, and trusted company.
When you have decided to buy property in Turkey, remember that finding a reputed estate agency with good references and experience is crucial. TERRA Real Estate is a committed business member of the Association of International Property Professionals (AIPP) and is regulated by the Property Ombudsman.
As one of the leaders in the Turkish Real Estate Market, we are confident that our wide real estate portfolio continuously offers unique opportunities. Please contact us for further information whenever you are interested in real estate investment or regarding any matter related to the real estate market in Turkey.